The De Souza Trust Goa Scholarships
The De Souza Trust Goa Scholarship funded from the estate of Mr. Diego Frank de Souza aims to provide financial assistance for self-motivated dynamic young people of Goan origin/ those holding Goan domicile to study or train in the UK. Since the introduction of the scholarship in 1998, several Goan students have successfully completed their studies in subjects as diverse as Media Management, Architecture, Computing & Design, TV documentary, Music Therapy, Fashion Technology, Architectural Conservation and Human Rights, Communication Systems & Signal Processing and Innovation Technology & the law.
Who can apply?
* Indian national, domiciled & resident in Goa, or born of Goan parents
* Not more than 35 years of age as on 15 May 2009
* Excellent track record in academics and/ or extra curricular achievement
* Confirmed admission for any academic/ technical/ vocational course of study for up to one year
Important: Applicants should have sought admission at a university in the UK before applying for the scholarships
What does the scholarship cover?
* Full or part tuition fees
* Visa for the UK
All other costs are to be borne by the students
How to apply?
The application form is fairly straightforward; you will be required to write the following two personal (150 words each) statements as part of the application:
1. Please provide an outline of your ambitions and career plan in not more than 150 words.
2. Please describe in not more than 150 words how you propose to apply the knowledge and experience gained in your area of work after you return to your home country.
Candidates can apply in either of the following ways:
Click here to apply online & separately courier/ email copies of the following documents:
1. One recent passport-size photograph (Write your name on the reverse)
2. Two reference letters (not more than one A4 size page each). Photocopies will not be accepted
3. Proof of Goan origin/ domicile
4. Personal Statements 1 & 2
5. Copy of offer letter from the UK University
Important: When you apply online, you will receive a reference number on the email address you provided on the application. Mention this reference number (only for online application) clearly on the envelope/ subject line of the mail.
For details, please contact:
The De Souza Trust Goa Scholarships
British Council Division
British Deputy High Commission
Mittal Tower, ‘C’ Wing, 2nd Floor, Nariman Point, Mumbai – 400021
Last date of application: Friday, 15 May 2009.
Important: Applications not accompanied by the supporting documents will not be considered. Short listed applicants will appear for a personal interview and will be required to carry relevant documents in original
What is Goan origin/ domicile
If the applicant is of Goan origin
(Either one of the following documents should be provided along with the application)
* Documentary proof of birth certificate (born in Goa) of the applicant or any one of his/ her parents or grandparents
* Documentary proof of share of the applicant or his/ her parents in an ancestral property in Goa which is utilized as the family’s residence or business premises.
If the applicant holds a Goan domicile
(Any one of the following documents should be provided along with the application)
* Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Goa Government
* Documentary proof of residence/ education/ employment of the applicant in Goa for at least 10 years
* Documentary proof of residence/ education/ employment in Goa of any one of the parents of the applicant for at least 15 years
For more details please visit : http://www.britishcouncil.org